I'm currently trying to make a change. It's one that I've been feeling in the background for a while now, and it makes objective sense: use a third-party password manager. For years, I enjoyed the convenience of the default, the native platform solution. That was iCloud Keychain before and, more recently, Google Passwords. And, yes, it's also been just my current browser's password tool, like in Firefox. But I'm trying to make a permanent switch.
The app and service I've chosen is one I've used before but only for short periods: Bitwarden.
In this post, I'm not going to cover the general pros and cons of stand-alone password managers versus ones built into a Big Tech ecosystem. Instead, I'm sharing a few personal points, why I've been feeling and thinking about this setup switcheroo.
Convenience
First, I think the biggest reason I used and advocated for a tech platform's native password manager is simply for its convenience. It's the power of the default. It's built-in. It's easy. And this means you're likely to use good password etiquette or safe practices. Your security and privacy are taken care of.
Convenience is why I kept using Google's password system. I've been pretty much all-in (or mostly-in) the Google-verse, using all the company's apps and services. It's built into my Android phone. So relying on password auto-fill or auto-complete is about as simple as clicking an "OK" button.
That means switching to a third-party cross-platform password solution, I must tolerate a little bit more friction, a little less convenience. But what do I gain for that small price to pay? (And will that small price feel bigger over time?)
Flexibility
I think one practical advantage for me to rely fully on Bitwarden is freedom or flexibility, moving between Google, Microsoft, or even Apple tech platforms, plus other third-party apps and services. For example, no matter what browser I choose, I can always depend on Bitwarden to supply my credentials as needed. In fact, I have been once again switching from Chrome to Edge and find that the Bitwarden extension is awesome. It allows for a common UI and password-list to fill-in either browser. It's convenient in its own way.
Safety
Another cause for me switching is, I think, an increased unease in putting all my eggs in one tech basket. I'll label it as safety. I've been down this road before. It makes good sense to me to not give a single company all my data, especially all the keys to all my stuff. But because of convenience and the advantage of the default tool(s), I typically chose the path of least resistance.
Aside: blogging more about my unease with tech lately could make another post. Suffice to say it's the threat of Google selling Chrome (maybe even Android), Apple's gross conduct regarding its App Store, and the shoving of A.I. into everything. Big Tech has been overreaching, and now it's facing new regulation, scrutiny, and antitrust remedies. The cool or innovative solutions provided by Big Tech come at more than monetary cost. So...Linux has starting blipping on my radar...
Those are the two main reasons - flexibility and safety - for abandoning Google Passwords and embracing Bitwarden. I think Bitwarden (and the company behind it) is more trustworthy for keeping my private credentials safe from bad actors and easy enough for me to access.
An added bonus: it also works on Linux, which would be great if I ever switched from A.I. infested operating systems.
No comments:
Post a Comment