May 9, 2025

Obsidian Rabbit Hole

Recently, I was reviewing the main productivity apps I use. I noticed which ones created discreet (local) files and which ones didn't. That sparked renewed interest in Obsidian - it was kind of a "light-bulb" moment. Like, why am I not using this great tool? Now I'm going down the rabbit hole with it...for maybe the third time?

Obsidian is installed on my Android phone and Windows laptop. I'm trying to use a local vault on each device, not paying for a sync service. Instead, I move (cut/paste) the current files I need between devices in one of two ways:

  1. Directly - via Bluetooth pairing my phone to my laptop.
  2. Indirectly - via Google Drive sync app on Windows in File Explorer and the native integration of Drive on my Android phone.

I'm testing this out to see how much friction there is and whether I'll manage it. This is interesting because while the files are digital, they're discreet objects in the file browsers that get moved around like "real" files. Only one copy of each file (e.g. my To-Do list) exists in one place at time - as if it's physical. This is the closest I can get to analog without actually reverting to pen and paper (like my planner last year). 

Aside - Thoughts on going more analog (again) are for another potential blog post. Simple and "dumb" tech can be easy and smart, but I digress.

So, yeah, Obsidian is great. I've used it before and...well, I switch my setup often. This time, I'm not only preferring "files over apps" but am also trying to consolidate my notes and tasks in one place. Plus, I realize there are other benefits to Obsidian:

  • Works on Linux...
  • Markdown
  • Folders and Tags
  • Links between notes
  • More data control and privacy
  • Not "Big Tech"
  • No account needed
  • No payment info needed
  • Custom color theme (#FF8000 of course!)
And as if that's not enough, I could get into Sync, Publish, Canvas, the visual graph, and plug-ins.

Well, let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment