June 3, 2019

Missing iPad App Beyond Bonkers - WWDC19


Today, Apple did a thing. It was huge, with tons of little things in it. Like, my brain can’t take it all in. And they didn’t do only small things; they did big things. Pretty much, all the things, Apple did them. They called it WWDC19.

This post is short; I could try to talk about many of the new and improved things Apple did at the WWDC19 keynote today. But, for now, I will just mention this one little teeny tiny omission.

The Calculator app on iPhone did not make it onto iPad.

Is it hyperbolic to think, as my post title suggests, that the simple Calc app should be a default app on the iPad? I don’t think so.

If there were any remaining doubts that the iPad is a computer, today Apple annihilated those with iPadOS. And being a computer, the iPad performs calculations. Plus, it’s a super-user-friendly machine. So…a simple calculator app just fits.

Maybe I’m being obtuse about this whole missing app business. But, in my defense, look, the Apple Watch, with the new watchOS announced today, is getting the Calculator app! So why not the iPad!? Are you kidding me?

Anyways, I’ll cut Apple some slack here. They were busy making the new Mac Pro insane with teraflops. Maybe the next iPadOS will introduce the long-awaited Calculator.