March 30, 2018

Celebrating The Blog

 

The Jason Journals blog survived its first year, so now it's time to review the past, preview the future, and do an overview of blogging in between. Why did I start this blog and why keep it going? Because...blogging!

I published my first post on March 31, 2017. And a few months later, my blog went silent due to “life happening”—anxiety. I got back to posting when I could, although it was sporadic. I still love blogging—even if it is old-school.

I've blogged off and on since 2006, starting with a family update type of blog. After that, I tinkered with several blogs focused on different niche subjects. None lasted. But Jason Journals endures despite the difficulties of the last year.

What can I say? I love to think and write! I've used a personal journal for a long time. So blogging just fits. That's one reason why I started Jason Journals. And it's a great way to exercise creativity.


Blogging Is Creative

Creating stuff--blogs, music, ice sculptures--is part of what makes us human. One of my favorite sayings these days is, Create more, consume less. Many people—myself included—are often caught up in “consuming content” instead of creating things. It's too much input and not enough output.

Writing and blogging are great creative outlets; I get a rich satisfaction from writing that feels deeper than...reading books; the fulfillment is on another level. I still consume content: movies, internet, social media. But I consume less because its appeal is weaker. I'm too busy enjoying my blogging hobby! (Well, I probably read books as much as I write blogs.)

Blogging Is Independent

There is another aspect to blogging that is hard for me to find the right term for. It lingers from the early days of the web when blogs were more popular. I think “independent” is close, or maybe "open."

Before the internet became sophisticated and commercialized, bloggers had their own simple sites that linked to other blogs and interesting places on the web--blogrolls! And their blogs each had a unique look and vibe to them, like hand-crafted quality stuff. An individual blog reflected a person's uniqueness; it made the web adventurous and even serendipitous!

Compare that to now. Everyone just has a Facebook newsfeed, and they all look the same. It kind of works but it's boring. Efficiency and consistency are good, but we also need individuality and variety. The sameness of social media has caused the web to lose its zest.

Blogging Is Lasting

I love finding others who share their own experience and opinions about blogging. I even check the state of the blogosphere at least once a year, hoping to find an article telling me that blogs are not going extinct. I would love to see a blogging renaissance! I think it would mean getting back to a more open internet.

On that note, I will share a few related posts I find interesting. Although some are dated, they're still relevant. I recommend you give them a read.


Jason Journals Future

In the past few months, I’ve been practicing writing, and I plan to keep it up as Jason Journals heads into its second year. Hopefully the quality of my writing improves over time!

I think you can expect to see a mix of articles, aiming for at least one each week on Friday mornings--Lord willing. You might also find more pictures over time since I am not sure how much longer I will use Flickr and because I deleted my Instagram account.

One thing that surprises me is that I’ve stuck with the same blog theme for the past year! But I plan on using a new layout it to make it more readable for everyone. I hope the blog just keeps getting better in three key areas: what I write, how it's written, and how it is presented on the blog.

Till Next Time

What are your thoughts about blogging? Do you hope for a renaissance or worry about its decline? What are your ideas about the open web? And do you prefer to go to Facebook or individual blogs?

Share in the comments!

Take care,

-Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing.