January 14, 2023

Sold iPad And Dropped AirPods

As one who is all-in with Apple, it may be surprising that I quit using a few of its gadgets. My iPad is gone. And my AirPods are now just backup. Let me explain.

iPad

A year ago, I bought a refurbished MacBook Air M1 and still enjoy it today. Prior, I used an 8th-gen iPad with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard (non-Apple gear) as my “computer.” Needing and wanting more drove me to a proper laptop.

So in the past year, I basically never used my iPad. I tried some of its features that let me use it as a connected display for my Mac, but otherwise it stayed out-of-sight/out-of-mind.

My oldest son then told me how much he wanted his own iPad and that he’d use it for not only some games and movies but as a tool to practice digital drawing via Apple Pencil. He had saved up money for all of it and was ready to buy. So I made him a deal, selling my iPad to him.

I’ve blogged before about the tight space between an iPhone and a MacBook. Steve Jobs knew that to have room for a tablet, between a smartphone and a laptop, it had to be exceptional at key things. The iPad is great, but I just didn’t have enough real use for it along with my other Apple devices.

So far, I don’t miss it at all. I doubt I will. That said, it’s a little weird to me that I let such a cool Apple device go from my grasp. Yet I think it’s for the best.

Photo by Tima Miroshnichenko

AirPods

I have used my AirPods (gen. 2) for two years now. By far, their convenience is the best thing about them. But the trade-off in audio quality is wanting, and their expense just doesn’t seem worth it anymore. I realized there are many other good quality yet affordable wireless audio solutions on the market. 

Then for Christmas, I got a new pair of JBL (760NC) noise canceling over-ear headphones. So far they’re very nice. I really like their overall sound, having deep bass in my music, and that they block background noise, creating an inner-quiet soundscape. Plus, they can be wireless or wired!

They’re not perfect: the earcups are a tad small for my ear flaps, and their overall bulk makes them less convenient than AirPods — trade-offs. That’s ok with me; they’re also more affordable.

Now my AirPods are backup. I still use them sometimes while driving long-distance and for occasional phone calls. But once they die, I do not plan to replace them.

What’s left?

As mentioned, my iPhone and MacBook remain. I also still enjoy my Apple Watch — now with a non-Apple (inexpensive!) watchband. So, it’s kind of like small (watch), medium (phone), and large (laptop).

I do love my other Apple-less tech: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite and Nintendo Switch OLED. Sure, I’ve played games and read eBooks on my Apple gear, but the Kindle and Switch are devices dedicated to the task of reading and gaming, so they do it far better.

What device(s) would you drop in order to simplify your tech life?

4 comments:

  1. Hear! Hear! I know you've written about the practicality of tablets before and I agree with you here as well. I feel like for general use, tablet of any kind never found their place for the layman. Unless you're a hardcore gamer or artist, a tablet just doesn't fit anywhere in most people's lives.

    I for one have an Amazon Fire tablet and only use it to read book/articles. But even that will change as I'm trying to get away from ebooks eventually.

    I also agree with you on the Air Pods. Way too expensive and too easy to lose. They're like expensive sunglasses - buy cheaper because you'll eventually lose them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad. My wife and I had Fire tablets before. They were cool, worked well, and the price tag was crazy good. But without access to Google apps or a few other mainstream ones, I kind of find them a tough sell. If all you want is a tablet to consume Amazon content, they're kind of perfect. Also, my mom got her first tablet ever this Christmas, a 10" Fire HD, with pretty good specs. She loves it! For her use case, it's great.

      So with AirPods, when they were new to me, I had to learn/practice handling them very carefully because their small size and slippery smooth surface. I dropped one in my car where it fell between the seat and center console, the tiny crack where french fires go to die, and I could not get it out until I parked, moved the seat all the way forward, and fished it out. I was unhappy. I had to learn to avoid being clumsy with them.

      Delete
  2. That's great you were able to cut down on devices, and even better your son will be able to get use out of the iPad! I like the breakdown between S/M/L too, makes total sense.

    I have a bit of a tablet problem myself... First is a 1st-gen NOOK that I never use anymore. It's still fully functionable and very comfortable for reading, so I'm reluctant to get rid of it. I also have a 7" Android tablet that I loved, but the OS is really outdated...I should probably let it go. Thirdly, I have an iPad which is for reading ebooks or watching movies (I don't own a TV). Sadly the Pencil seems to have died on me, but I used to enjoy using it for drawing and would like to get back into that.

    I kind of wish I'd go back to an e-ink device for reading, it's so much better for the eyes and ergonomically. I would probably have to get a new one though because my NOOK is extremely limited in terms of what I can put on it (basically just epubs or NOOK books). On my iPad I read most things using the Libby app which is just so convenient and fast, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian. I didn't realize you had several tablets/devices. I've never had a Nook, but I've had a Kindle Fire and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet.

      For sure, I love eInk and think it's best for eReading, whether Nook, Kindle, or similar. The 6" to 7" size is also best I think. I'm not familiar enough with Nooks or others to compare with Kindle, which I've always liked. And as much as I like Apple or iPad, and have tried to only use Apple Books, I always go back to a Kindle.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing.